Job ScamsApril 26, 2018
How do I spot a job scam?
Look for these signs of a scam. Scammers might:
- Promise you a job
- promise you a government job
- offer you the secret to getting a job
- promise that you will make lots of money by working at home
- offer you a certificate to improve your chances of getting a job
Scammers ALWAYS will ask you to pay first. That is the biggest sign of any scam. Never pay in advance. Someone might say you cannot lose. It is not true. You will lose money
How can I avoid a job scam?
- Never deal with anyone who promises you a job. No one can promise you a job.
- Do not pay in advance for information about a job. Even if there is a money-back guarantee.
- Do not deal with anyone who says you have to act fast.
- Ignore promises to make thousands of dollars working in your own home. Those promises are lies.
What if I already paid someone but I did not get anything?
If you sent money and did not get help finding a job, report it to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
- Call the FTC at (877) 382-4357
- Go online: ftc.gov/complaint
The FTC uses complaints to build cases against scammers. ANy information you can give helps investigators.